Monday, March 17, 2014

Day 1 of Tri training

So today began the trek to my first sprint triathalon...I am keeping this diary for myself...to measure my training, my emotions, how my body feels, etc. I have always wanted to do one...and decided I am not getting any younger. There is no time like the present. I have done bike/run combo trainings before. What's another leg to make it a tri?
Enter the swim...and an athlete is humbled...
Humbled by the fact that swimming tires you out in general...I mean, your whole body...
Humbled by the fact that I have never swam competitively...ever...
Humbled by the fact that after the first lap, I was tired...
Humbled by the fact that if this is the first leg of the Tri, do I have enough stamina to do a tri?
Humbled by the fact that my first swim workout was tiring and realizing I only did 312 yards and have to do that twice more to do the swim leg?
Humbled by the fact that when I left the gym I wanted to cry...
Humbled by the fact that I was feeling defeated...
And wondering what I have gotten myself into...

I came home and got a hug from my fiance who knew I was feeling lackluster to say the least. I really wanted to shed tears, but I didn't. It was my first swim since...um, ever? Maybe the first time I have done the crawl since I was 11 or 12? So although I am feeling less than stellar, I am giving myself a break...a small one. I am very competitive and hard on myself. And the only one I am competing with right now is my mind.

The bike after was much better. But I am already used to that.

Thus ends day 1...a humbling day for sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment